Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Restoring the Spirit

The Canadian TRC is a process that is taking place in several cities in Canada including Winnipeg. The main purpose is to discuss residential schools. I arrived just after the process ended its Winnipeg stage. Interestingly, the weather was sunny before and after but stormy throughout the proceedings. Some say it was symbolic of the tears pouring.

However, there are several people staying on the CMU campus where I am at. They are working on a similar project called Restoring the Spirit. They are discussing the victims. I had an discussion about how the victimized tell a story about themselves and then become the 'victim.' Their work here was to work with the victimized on 'restoring the spirit' and help them move forward. There are Cree people, Native Americans from the US, and others from around the World. I met a South African Man who works on a Cree reservation.

I have spent a lot of time with one Cree woman, Lorraine. I sat down next to her at breakfast on Monday because I did not know anyone else. We have continued to talk. Last night, we spoke for 2-3 hours. She remarked at what a good listener I am. It is easy to listen to her. She has so much to share and I have so much to learn. We spoke about spirituality and colonialism.

We also spoke about the role of science and GMOs in our world. She heard a Cree, female scientist speak of what is going on in science as a dark or bad spirit. I have been struggling with my views of science and what it means for the world. I also feel that science is not this infallible process. People are involved in the process and thus, there is space for human bias and error. It has been hard to articulate these thoughts and I truly appreciated her view on the subject.

She remarked that it seemed like we were meant to meet and like she had known me before. It has been a powerful experience meeting her and I am sad that she leaves Wednesday. I hope to stay in touch and perhaps visit her on the Cree reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment